The mission of the African American Board Leadership Institute is to strengthen nonprofit, public and private organizations through recruiting, preparing and assisting with the placement of African Americans on a broad range of governing boards.
This past year was our toughest season in memory. The AABLI board and staff are confident, however, that our community will demonstrate a renewed passion for our collective mission: to strengthen nonprofits, public and private organizations through recruiting, preparing and assisting with the placement of African Americans on a broad range of governing boards.
Our country stands at a crossroads in its journey toward inclusion and equity. For communities of color, choosing the right path is more essential than ever. We at AABLI believe the one that prepares us for leadership is the best path forward.
Among our milestones:
- AABLI has trained more than 750 dynamic professionals to serve on governing boards since we launched in 2011. Our recent transition to virtual training—in response to the pandemic—has kept us moving forward.
- We’ve assisted with the placement of more than 250 African Americans on nonprofit boards and/or commissions – 75 in the last year alone.
- We’ve custom-tailored support for organizations to assist their employees with board governance training and/or leadership development, creating more diverse, inclusive and equitable communities through effective governance.
- We’ve partnered with Los Angeles ABC7 Eyewitness News to provide live content. The result? The debut of our YouTube channel playlist: AABLI In the Community.
- We’ve produced the first “AABLI Board Talks” video series.